I love press releases sometimes. The latest let me know that March 18th is Goddess of Fertility Day! According to the press release, it is traditionally celebrated before the Spring Equinox. This ancient festivity was a day in which women wishing to conceive would make offerings to the Greek goddess, Aphrodite. ChicagoHealers.com Practitioner Dr. Ian Wahl thought to honor this ancient tradition by offering some holistic tips to increase your chances of pregnancy, and I thought they were quite wonderful – so I am sharing his tips with you!
- Healthy Body Means Healthy Baby: A diet high in saturated fats and refined sugar is not ideal for a healthy reproductive system. Maintaining a healthy diet of fresh organic fruits, vegetables and meats could create a healthy body and increase your chances of conceiving.
- Eliminate the Toxins: Quit smoking, stop drinking and avoid recreational drugs. “Smoking and drinking affects ovulation and fallopian tube functioning making it more difficult to get pregnant or stay pregnant,” says Dr. Wahl. In addition, these harmful toxins could negatively affect a growing fetus.
- When It’s Time It’s Time: Dr Wahl stresses the importance of knowing your ovulation cycle. He explains, “You can’t get pregnant naturally if you don’t make love at the right time during your cycle. About 20% of women know they are ovulating when they get a twinge of pain or a series of cramps… this is thought to be caused by the release of an egg from the ovary.” If you don’t know when you ovulate, Dr. Wahl suggests buying an ovulation kit. “They’re inexpensive and quite accurate,” he says.
- I would add that men should get tested too! What good is an ovulation if there is no sperm? Check out SpermCheck Fertility for a fast, easy, inexpensive way to get the low down on your partners sperm.
- In the Words of Freddie Mercury, Too Much Love: Dr. Wahl explains, “While it is true you can get pregnant during your ovulation cycle, excessive lovemaking during ovulation is counterproductive.” Male resources are not plentiful and inexhaustible. As a result too much sexual activity at the wrong time will ensure failure when the time is right. Dr. Wahl advises to make love every other day starting on day 10 until day 20 for women with regular 28 day cycles.
- Relaxation is Key: There are many things that can add stress to your life. However, experts agree that reducing stress is essential when trying to conceive. High stress levels signal the pituitary gland which causes the slow release of the luteinizing hormone, a hormone necessary for ovulation. A shortage of luteinizing could lower the level of progesterone, which is necessary to nourish and sustain an embryo’s implantation.
Dr. Wahl offers sound advice for couples trying to conceive. And to me a lovely new age and reassuring twist! “You are the Alter of creation. Honor your womanhood, your intuition, and your feminine energy and you will create your optimum level of health and well-being thus allowing you to conceive and bring a healthy baby to term. You are a fertile spirit. You are the Goddess of Fertility. “
About Dr. Ian Wahl, DA, Lac, CH- Dr. Ian Wahl, is a board certified Doctor of Acupunture and herbalist specializing in women’s health and reproductive Oriental medicine at the Natural Fertility Health Centers in Arlington Heights, IL. Dr. Wahl can be reached at www.NaturalFertilityHealthCenters.com.